Wednesday, August 05, 2020

I Had a Cool Job until COVID-19

I had a cool job and then COVID-19 arrived. I did technical support for the Minnesota Historical Society. Mostly I worked at the History Center, but I worked at several other sites as well. I visited nearly all of the sites with my family in the 3 years I was there. I was hired to support phones (VoIP, Centrex) and the AV media in the conference rooms and classrooms. But soon I was doing desktop support (virtually and in person), and lots of things including toning, and connecting Ethernet ports in switch closets. I was in the middle of a phone upgrade at a historic mansion in St. Paul when COVID-19 shut us down. I was furloughed. Then furlough was extended. Now layoff is imminent. The museums are closed. Half the staff--including the entire help-desk has been cut. The organization is now in survival mode. But I enjoyed it while it lasted. Now, I am displaced by COVID-19 and looking for another cool job...

No comments: