Skip to main content

Black Lives Matter?

Yesterday as I watched a news feed about Black Lives Matter marching in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I wondered if Dr. King would approve of them blocking the light rail system? I also found it ironic that since the police were the focus of their protest, that the police were keeping the protesters off of Interstate 94—which had they gotten on the freeway (like they have before), could have resulted in a lethal and tragic situation.

Then I formed a question in my mind. Do black lives really matter to this group? What I mean is, I could show numerous black on black deadly violence incidents that have occurred—yet the only ones that seem to matter to Black Lives Matter are the proportionally smaller number that have occurred when police have used deadly force.

My question: If there are two black lives and one black life shoots and kills the other one, does this matter? Does the loss of life only matter when it is during a struggle with police or does it matter even if the killer is also black? I only ask because no one is (still) addressing the issue that lots of African-Americans die violently—at the hands of other African-Americans.

Having worked within social services for a time, I still believe that the means to solving the big picture problem, is to have strong families, buy into the idea that education is key to success; and changing attitudes that set a pattern of crime and poverty.

But then, this whole issue is about pursuing the small picture viewpoint. It isn't really about changing society for the better is it? Nobody really wants the change if they have to change themselves. They just want the police to change.

Comments

Though I am glad you linked to me blog, I think it would have more impact if you linked to a specific instance of black on black crime documented therein. Here is an example.

http://adventuresofjohnnynorthside.blogspot.com/2012/07/background-on-jamica-driver-holden.html

I will also point out I am not in the business of documenting black on black crime per se. I document crime that happens on the Northside. Yes, in the final analysis...most of the murder on the Northside is black-on-black crime.

Popular posts from this blog

Hormel is Dumb: No More Little Sizzlers

We appreciate your interest in LITTLE SIZZLERS® Sausage. Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued. We value our loyal consumers and apologize for any disappointment our decision has caused. Please visit www.hormel.com for coupons, promotions and recipes using many of our other products.

SPRUCE Project

We were lucky enough to be given a tour of the SPRUCE Project in the Chippewa National Forest, North of Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Our tour guide was W. Robert Nettles IV, SPRUCE Project Operations Manager at Oak Ridge National Laboratory . I went into the site fueled primarily by my lifetime of interest in the natural environment; as well as my interest from volunteering as a park ranger in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. However, by the time I was done, my interest in technology, from over 10 years as an IT professional, was thoroughly peaked! Definitely off the "beaten path," in a spruce bog in Northern Minnesota, this site boasts an incredible array of scientific equipment that is supported by an amazing technological infrastructure! There are control sites and some of the chambers have added heat, carbon dioxide, or both. A lot of equipment and experimental testing goes on 24/7, 365 days per year. These guys know their stuff. The 10 chambers are connected ...

Measles Outbreak?

The people dying from measles are unvaccinated. This is preventable. Those who are pushing misinformation are participating in the cause of these deaths.