We love the old Modeline floor lamp. I had rewired it a long time ago, when the switch broke and so I removed it. I used it in my bedroom at my condo, because there was a wall switch that operated an outlet, and there was no other light in the bedroom. Many years ago, when I was scoring academic tests, I was the team lead, and I sat in back of my team and there wasn't a lot of light back there. So, I brought this light to work, and put it by my desk. It was quite the topic of conversation of everybody working there. Someone called it the "waterheater lamp," and the name stuck. My parents originally got the lamp, and I "inherited" it. Recently, it was growing dim, and it wasn't the bulbs. Finally, I decided it was time to either throw it away, or try to rebuild it. Home Depot didn't have the parts, but of course, Ace Hardware did. It took me several hours because you have to put everything back together in order--because there's a cord running through all of the components. But when I replaced all of the electrical parts, it worked again. My wife, who is into refinishing old furniture, says that some people are collecting Mid Century Modern furniture, like this lamp.
The thoughts of a writer.

Comments