Skip to main content

The Forces of Eeeevil!

Three days this week, my urban fishing ventures have been thwarted! It can really only mean one thing... the forces of Eeeevil have unleashed an insidious plot designed to prevent me from enjoying the short minutes of pleasure that fishing affords me! It all started three days ago when I was delayed by road construction—costing me valuable time and also a morning's worth of fishing. The very next day, I had ample time—but was unable to find access to a new lake I wanted to try; because of all the expensive houses and giant business campuses surrounding it. Again, I ran out of time searching. When I finally decided to try a different lake, I was once again, the victim of road resurfacing. The access to the parking area was blocked. Today, I tried again. I was attempting to gain access to a park with a fishing pier on a lake I fish frequently. I was stopped by a closed gate and security guard sitting on a golf cart. The guard told me the park was closed. Apparently the park is being transformed for Festa Italiana, and nobody is allowed to fish—presumably because of all the gondola traffic. So, I went to a fishing spot on the other side of the lake near the railroad tracks. I was now losing time and the weeds in the lake provided only for me to cast beyond them with a bobber and Black Soldier Fly larvae as bait. I did get almost immediate "bites," but no fish—indicating to me that the fish in question were likely quite small. Looking around me, I noticed that the Canadian Pacific company is allowed to use pesticide and oil near our waterways—as the vegetation in the area appeared to be burned by chemicals and the rocks were wet with what appeared to be some kind of oil. I finally gave in and packed my gear and walked out. Minutes later I (somehow) cut my knuckle on a mail dropbox—while mailing a bill. Curse you forces of Eeeevil!!!

So... the forces of Eeeevil may have won this time, but I will be back! Oh yes... I will be back...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hormel is Dumb: No More Little Sizzlers

We appreciate your interest in LITTLE SIZZLERS® Sausage. Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued. We value our loyal consumers and apologize for any disappointment our decision has caused. Please visit www.hormel.com for coupons, promotions and recipes using many of our other products.

SPRUCE Project

We were lucky enough to be given a tour of the SPRUCE Project in the Chippewa National Forest, North of Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Our tour guide was W. Robert Nettles IV, SPRUCE Project Operations Manager at Oak Ridge National Laboratory . I went into the site fueled primarily by my lifetime of interest in the natural environment; as well as my interest from volunteering as a park ranger in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. However, by the time I was done, my interest in technology, from over 10 years as an IT professional, was thoroughly peaked! Definitely off the "beaten path," in a spruce bog in Northern Minnesota, this site boasts an incredible array of scientific equipment that is supported by an amazing technological infrastructure! There are control sites and some of the chambers have added heat, carbon dioxide, or both. A lot of equipment and experimental testing goes on 24/7, 365 days per year. These guys know their stuff. The 10 chambers are connected ...

Measles Outbreak?

The people dying from measles are unvaccinated. This is preventable. Those who are pushing misinformation are participating in the cause of these deaths.