Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Frustrated by Tech Help

I have been searching a state run website for years, to see what job opportunities are available. I am always amazed by how poorly it works, and by the way upgrades seem to make it less functional and less "user-friendly." When I ask for help or make comments on the feedback form, I'm always told everything is working fine. Here is a "sanitized" dialogue from today...

From: Job Bank
To: Cutris Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 07:42:28 -0600
Subject: Job Seeker Account - Feedback

Hello Cutris,
Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us. In regards to your e-mail about problems with our website; as far as we know everything is up and running. There was a rebuild last weekend and it should have improved searching according to zip codes, counties and words. If you are still having problems please call us at 555-555-5555 so we can discuss and identify the particular problem.

Linda
Job Bank


Cutris replied, 12/05/2007 8:01 AM

Sorry to tell you, since Monday I have not been able to do a
keyword search. I'm glad you think it is working, but rest assured
it is not. I have used the keyword search for a long time, and since
Monday it tells me that it has 'found no matches' to my criteria
(see attached jpg). I work in technology myself, so you might want
to try doing a keyword search yourself. Use multiple words
(separated by commas). If you are successful, then apparently my
account has been damaged somehow. I'm sorry I don't have time to
call and help you fix your software, but I have my own network to
keep running. Note* I can search with my resume' -which the format was screwed up really bad when uploaded (this has not changed).
Cutris


From: Job Bank
To: Cutris
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:47:53 -0600
Subject: RE: Job Seeker Account - Feedback

Hello Cutris,

The keyword search was changed on a rebuild which occurred over the
weekend.
If you will note on the attachment you sent us; every comma turned
into an 'and' it will search for all the requirements in the keyword
search. So, a job order must have 'every word' in it before it
will come up in the word search. We suggest you just put spaces
between words because it reads these as 'or' and will search for
single words in job orders.
If we can be of further assistance in the future please contact
us.


From Cutris
To: Job Bank
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:14 AM

One thing you might try, is to test your "fix" before sending it out. I tried what you said, and used spaces between words. If you look at my attached jpg, the exact same thing happened and the program inserted the word "and" between each one.
Perhaps I need to put the word "or" between each one? I'll let you figure it out, because if that's the case you will need to explain that somewhere on the website.
Good luck.
Cutris


No Response

From: Cutris
To: Job Bank
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 8:24 AM

After receiving no response since Wednesday regarding your site and the keyword search, I decided to try several configurations to see if it would work. Since your "upgrade," your keyword search now works with only one single word at a time. Prior to the "rebuild," it was able to accommodate a search with multiple words. Under these circumstances (i.e. the site working more poorly than previously), it would seem logical to retrograde back to the way it was before.

Sincerely,
Cutris

"Brian" got back to me telling me that it works again. I tried it, and it is much more cumbersome and allows for significantly less words to be used. By-the-way, they did have to use the "or" between words as was in my last response yesterday.

No comments: