Tuesday, February 12, 2013

More Garbage from Allied Waste

More issues with Allied/Maplewood Garbage Contract. I also found that Allied Waste in Minnesota is owned by Republic Services.
My letter to Allied Waste and the Maplewood City Council (and a few media sources).

Update 2/15/2013: Jim from Allied contacted me by phone Tuesday, after my letter was emailed. We agreed to talk later in the day. He called me back on schedule and told me that a search of the Inver Grove Heights office did not turn up my check. We agreed that he would clear the charges from my account anyway--because of the continued problems; and that I would pay the new (current) charges. This is a satisfactory resolution. It only took three days, three phonecalls and an email to get it to actually happen. --KJC

Background:
We moved to Maplewood in August and continued with our previous waste removal company until informed of the Maplewood trash contract. My wife contacted Allied to set us up and was referred to the City of Maplewood. My wife gave our information for the program. Garbage picked up as normal. At one point the post office neglected to forward a bill from Allied addressed to previous owner of our house. I contacted Allied and found that they were receiving bills back and simultaneously adding late fees to account. I called the contact person at the city who got Allied to produce an emailed account of our bill. I asked that it be mailed (hoping for a regular bill). Mailed correspondence was a printout of previous information with the Inver Grove Heights address. As in a court of law, I did what a reasonable person would do. I sent a check with the printout to the address (Inver Grove Heights., MN) on the printout.

Current:
New bill arrived yesterday with more late charges and no accounting of previous check. I called Allied customer service--they have no record of payment. I have an unaccounted for, unreturned check that was sent to Allied in Inver Grove Heights. NOTHING, and I mean absolutely nothing (including trash can size) has been correct from the beginning. The city awarded a five year contract??? I can't even pay my bill!!! Incidentally, the new bill has a PO Box in Louisville, KY. I know I didn't send my previous check there--because that address was not on the printout mailed to me.

I want the check found and my account credited. I want this problem to stop! I want this five year contact repealed! Who awards a five year contract??? We had a two year with our previous hauler and even cell phone companies only make you sign for two years.

This is ridiculous. We did everything right and I can't even pay my bill! Who is going to fix this? I can't keep messing around with this!

Sincerely,
Kevin J. Curtis

New:
Connie (supervisor) from Republic Services (see very top of entry) suggests that my check that I sent to the Inver Grove Heights address on the printout sent to me to pay the bill--was "lost in the mail." This means: Allied is blaming the city for the mix-up and the city is blaming Allied (somebody used county records instead of keying in the information we called in). Now Allied is blaming the Postal Service too. I don't want to hear this. I want someone to find the envelope that I mailed to the Inver Grove Heights office; that has my return address and my check in it. I don't believe anyone has even looked for it. Why do I think this? Because I have been told from the beginning that it is not there. No one said 'we searched for it and couldn't find it.'


Click Here for some more!

4 comments:

Jaggibutt said...

In Bloomington we get to pick our trash service, because it's our money to start with, then, if they jack us around, we switch to a different company. This is called capitalism. Maplewood should try it sometime.

What a racket.

CuTRis said...

The idea is good if implementation and customer service are done right. The cost per house can come down and one truck instead of 11 on trash day makes it a lot quieter.

Anonymous said...

Just wait until the health care system gets run by these people... you'll love it!

CuTRis said...

Why would a trash company be running health care???