Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Providence/Rhode Island; land of TAXES that won't stop

Forward: The state of Rhode Island boasts a Dept. of Motor Vehicles, that is geared to make you wait hours/days, so that you find out that you need to go to yet another place and spend more money before you can return for more hours/days to start the process again. Most Rhode Islanders seem proud of this adversarial system (on any day they don't need to go there).

The city of Providence, charges an excise tax on vehicles, above and beyond the tax imposed by the state. This is for the luxury of being able to drive in their city.
It should be noted that the City of Providence has ample ghetto, limited street signs, and it is still heavily influenced by the mob. As much as I disliked it there, they are still charging me for a car I no longer own, almost two years after I left the state...

Some personal information changed for this posting.
----------------------------------------------------------------
August 9, 2005

Office of the Tax Assessor
Providence City Hall
25 Dorrance Street
Providence, RI 02903

RE: ACCOUNT NUMBER: “Numba”

I lived at,

Address
Providence, RI

from June until November 2003.

Then I moved back to Minnesota.
I received a bill from the Providence Tax Assessors Office approximately a year ago for my car. I returned the bill, with the information that I had moved out of the state to,

Address
MN

I was contacted by Michelle from the assessor’s office. She asked me to send her information from the Minnesota DMV, stating when I transferred my license. This I did, and I was told I would be issued a new pro-rated bill. After not receiving a bill for many months, I sent the e-mail (not included in this posting) to make sure it wasn't sent to my old address. It was already the case that my mail was being thrown away by the occupant of ADDRESS, RI, because by this time mail forwarding had expired. I was told in the e-mail that there was no bill.

On August 8, 2005, I received a letter dated August 4, 2005, from the,
Municipal Collection Agency
198 Dyer Street 2nd Floor
Providence, RI 02903.

This notice gives me 15 days to pay delinquent taxes. When I called this agency, I was informed that more taxes are pending for 2002, 2004, and 2005.
As I stated previously, I lived in Providence from June until November of 2003.
I will pay the excise tax for those months. I should not be taxed for any other time, since I am paying taxes in my home state of Minnesota.

My call to the collection agency this morning (August 9), gave me a number to call for Providence City Hall, which gave me a number to call for the Tax Assessor, which gave me a voice-mail, which hung-up on me.

I want to take care of this and payoff my taxes. I do not want to continue to pay taxes to Rhode Island or Providence. I am a resident of Minnesota, and have been for all of my life -outside of the months of June - November of 2003.

Please update these records and stop taxing me. I do not wish to continue to go through this every year. I do not even own the car in question anymore.
A check is in the mail for the amount of $168.77 payable to the City of Providence. Please send me a receipt.

Sincerely,


Kevin J. Curtis
Address

No comments: