Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tens Workout

I thought I'd share the workout I created for myself, because it works!
I have the use of the school’s weight room before my work shift starts. Therefore, each morning I do ten repetitions of a number of weight training exercises utilizing both free weights and machines. If you don’t have a weight room (as there were times I didn't), you can still do a variety of exercises with dumbbells, or using calisthenics. The key to my successful program is that I can do my entire routine in 10 to 15 minutes. If I try to do multiple sets in a longer span of time, inevitably I will skip sessions due to time constraints. The order I do the exercises is relevant, as I do not rest in-between.

My body weight varies between 175 and 180 lbs. My current workout is,

1. Bench Press (free weights) 10 reps of 185 lbs.
2. Back Extensions (holding 45 lbs.) 10 reps
3. Straight Press (free weights on machine) 10 reps of 120 lbs.
4. Butterfly Curls (free weights on machine) 10 reps of 120 lbs.
5. Lat Pulls (plates on machine) 10 reps of 130 lbs.
6. Sit-ups (slow with legs secure) 15 reps
7. Deep Knee Bends (holding 90 lbs. of dumbbells) 10 reps
8. Toe Lifts (for calf muscles—holding 90 lbs. of dumbbells) 10 reps
9. Collar Lifts (holding 90 lbs. of dumbbells) 10 reps
10. Wrist Curls (holding 90 lbs. of dumbbells) 10 reps
11. Reverse Curls (plates on machine) 10 reps of 70 lbs.
12. Curls (plates on machine) 10 reps of 70 lbs.
13. Row Pulls (plates on machine) 10 reps of 70 lbs.
14. Dips (rep 7 in slow-motion) 10 reps
15. Suspended Leg lifts (for mid section) 10 reps

This workout is successful because I do it (generally) five mornings per week. The results are noticeable as "everything" stays firm. When I do take an extended break from my workout, I need to drop the weight load and slowly work back to my maximums. I like to keep the weight/resistance so that the tenth repetition is somewhat strenuous. Care should also be made to make weight increases gradual to avoid injuries.

Remember to consult your physician before starting a new exercise program.

No comments: