Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Political Views Should Not Become Uncivil

I have long marveled at the animosity created by differing political viewpoints. The most recent example of poor judgement, poor behavior and lack of fair play in the "land of the free," is Representative Maxine Waters' call for her supporters to harass Trump officials. That is simply a way to incite mob justice out of a low educated and excitable population. Can we not, as citizens of the United States, disagree without becoming uncivilized and resorting to thug mentality? Perhaps we cannot. There is no ability to agree to disagree on either the far left or far right of the political spectrum. I have a friend and former coworker who won't talk to me because I do not buy into the black lives matter mentality (because it only demands police accountability and does not address social causes). In fact, the liberals, in my opinion, with the message to minorities that they are not required to be responsible for their own actions, is one of the most destructive forces in our society. When former NBA all-star, Oscar Robertson asked why white athletes are not standing up against racial injustice, I would offer this possible explanation. 1. Just because they are not acting out the way you might think they should, that doesn't mean they are not finding constructive ways to address this. 2. When you blame an entire group of people for your problems, why do you expect those same people to jump to your aid? On the other side of the spectrum, some people think that I am a liberal because I believe guns should carry titles like automobiles and average citizens do no need multiple guns or assault weapons. Between the two sides, however, to me, the liberals seem to be angrier because their views are emotionally based. Yet the conservatives do not buy into science either when the topic concerns global environmental issues. Personally, I don't fit into either side because my opinions do not follow party lines. They vary by subject. As I write this I am reminded of when I agreed on the candidate with a political liberal; but angered him because I didn't agree with his opinions of why. It seemed to be more important to him that I agree with his liberal ideals than my vote for "his" candidate. Perhaps there is no way to remove the anger. Maybe "we" are not mature enough to agree to disagree. Could it be that the fight to be "right" is more important than the desire to find solutions? Again, in my opinion, the solutions lie in the middle; in the grey area; in the truth of the matter. I don't see much truth on the far left or the far right. And finally and most importantly, we all need to remain calm, kind and civil while we debate these issues.

No comments: