Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Trash, Green Arrows & Red Lights

I've been noticing a lot of two issues. One is drivers running red lights and the other is people throwing their garbage (littering) on the ground or in lakes. When I wake up in the morning, I can see trash on the street and on the lawns of myself and my neighbors. Apparently it is our responsibility to clean up after the steady stream of people who walk from the apartments at the end of the block—through our neighborhood to the convenience store and back all day and all night. Now to my morning fishing excursions. In the past few days, I have fished out of the lake, bait containers, fishing line, pop cans, beer bottles, cigarette packs and other assorted trash. Much of this is likely from people fishing from the pier. I'm not sure why people who like to fish, like to do so amidst a pile of garbage, but apparently it is also my responsibility to clean up their trash from the lake where they tossed it.
Bringing me now to the second part of my rant. Every day, I notice on average, about 3 to 10 drivers run red lights. Yesterday, when I had a green arrow to turn left, I waited as a car and then a man on a bicycle with a small child on the back—both ran their red lights and I had to wait at my green arrow until they went past. Later, after stopping at the grocery store, I had two more cars turn in front of me while I had the green arrow telling me that I could turn left. Now my understanding is that if I have a green arrow, the people who are turning into my right-of-way, should be seeing a red light. The second vehicle at this occurrence went through his red light a full 3 count after my green arrow showed up. As he went by and since both of us had our windows down, I said, "You just ran a red light!" He responded by telling me to "F-off!" Fortunately we were heading opposite directions or this likely would have become a racial incident with me being in the wrong for having pointed out to this man of a different race; that he was in the wrong. Likely I would have been charged with a serious civil rights violation if I had been caught. It was also fortunate that I had not yet started moving through my green arrow that was already turning yellow by the time I was finally able to get through the intersection. Likely this meant that several people who were behind me at that left turn signal had to go through a red light or else wait until the signals went through another cycle to (hopefully) get their turn...

So in closing, I would like to point out that the people who are polluting the world and disobeying the laws are not the sole owners of the planetary system. Others inhabit the same world and these people are messing that world up!

No comments: