Friday, April 07, 2006

Intruder Drill

We have intruder drills at the school. We've had two so far over the year. Both have been first hour, because as everyone knows, intruders only come to schools during first hour…

My experience was as follows. The Office Grand Pooba told me to lock the mailroom door because there was going to be an intruder drill. I was working in the copy room at the time. If a real intruder shows up, I wonder if I will have advanced notice to lock the door? When the announcement came to start the drill, I was unable to hear it so I kept working until someone turned the lights out on me!

I found “safe refuge,” in a conference room and made myself comfortable. That was when it happened! The all clear was given –which I couldn’t hear in the safety of the conference room. I did notice the lights were turned on though. Realizing that an intruder would be unable to locate the light switch, I decided it was safe.

I have also decided that when I am told that I have to spend part of my shift at the entrance checking in visitors, that I am going to be perfectly honest and let administration know that if someone comes in with a gun, I will point the person toward the office and get out of the way.

I have already suggested a security camera and monitor and a door with an intercom and switch to “buzz” people in. I’m sure the initial outlay of money will prevent this from happening, even though it means hiring another person at poverty wages to help staff the door.

The world is run by “small picture” people. In a big picture world, we would get the security system. It would save money in the long run, and everyone would be much safer.

No comments: