Tuesday, March 15, 2016

White Privilege

When I sit in a room full of people who all look more like each other than they look like me I think about White Privilege. When I am asked to put my racial and ethnic demographics on an application form I think about White Privilege. When the spokesman for the black newspaper I applied to be a writer at told me the interviewer was not there I thought about White Privilege. Whenever I watch the Latin Grammys I think about White Privilege. When I watch Black Entertainment Television I think about White Privilege. When I am not allowed to show pride in my race because I am called a racist or supremacist I think about White Privilege. When I hear about the Miss Black America Pageant I think about White Privilege. When I hear about the NAACP I think about White Privilege. When I get information about groups to support Black or Asian or Latino students I think about White Privilege. When I hear about Affirmative Action I think About White Privilege. When there are initiatives to increase the number of teachers of color I think about White Privilege. When I play with my mixed race child I think about White Privilege. When I get a letter asking for a donation from the United Negro College Fund I think about White Privilege. When I see the TV news story about the latest arrests I think about White Privilege. When Black Lives Matter protests on a busy freeway I think about White Privilege. When I paid for my own college education by working and was not eligible for any student aid I thought about White Privilege. When I navigate a crowd of people loitering in front of the store I want to go into I think about White Privilege. When police officers are condemned for using deadly force even if justified I think about White Privilege. When I am threatened or insulted because of my skin color I think about White Privilege. When I work hard and pay high taxes I think about White Privilege. I think about White Privilege. I think about White Privilege. I think about White Privilege.

No comments: