Friday, November 01, 2013

Nice to See Agreement!

It seems that much lip service is given to how the different cultures don't agree on many things, so I wanted to point out that sometimes they do! Some of our newer immigrants and minority groups may have different customs, religious beliefs, etc., but after giving out candy for Halloween last evening, I can see that there seems to be an agreement that ringing someone's doorbell (3 or 7 times) and receiving free candy is agreed on by nearly everyone! Some of the people were older teens and perhaps even adults--many without costumes! Yet all of them were happy to come to my house and ask for candy. Halloween certainly has a way of bringing us all together! In fact, some of the older teens enjoyed the experience so much that they would shift position and then complain that they had not yet received any candy; when of course they had. So trick-or-treating isn't just for the little kids as I once thought. It is for grown-up or nearly grown-up people too! I will have to tell my nephew--who just started Jr. High. He thinks he is too old now and just walks his younger siblings around to trick-or-treat. There were "kids" twice his age with no costumes out doing it. They all had giant bags or pillow cases filled. I'm pretty sure I heard one of the older kids demand candy from a younger one, so there is also a spirit of sharing! Well with all of this good natured camaraderie, I ran out of candy quickly! I was unable to continue and had to turn the lights off "and hide," as the neighborhood swarmed with people--most of whom I had never seen before. So next time you are frustrated by someone, remember Halloween. It's one holiday everyone seems to agree on.

2 comments:

LDM said...

I didn't quite reach your house - I was demanding beer and cigarettes. Wow! What a spirit of giving!

Jaggibutt said...

and one other for sure thing, Mexican children love Almond Joys. That's what they want.