Friday, January 06, 2012

The Power of Words

On my way home from work yesterday I decided to stop by the dollar store to get a couple of things. Now I don't expect to be entering a "high class" establishment when I go there, but the two women who were very loudly using language that would put the Sopranos to shame made me think of my time working in the alternative high school and the chemical health division of the county. What is it that people like this are trying to achieve by using the "F" word in every sentence?

Now please don't insult me by trying to turn this into a racial thing (like when I was working at the county). I don't care what color your skin is; I just don't want to hear you spew obscenities at high volume in a public place. On the "flip-side," I would venture to guess that these same two women would go into a (near) homicidal rage if someone with a light complexion uttered the "N" word.

So the power of words is strong, and ignorant people are creating a hostile environment for our children. Yes, our children. I am a dad now and I don’t want my son to think it is alright to speak that way.

No comments: