Thursday, August 18, 2011

Walking Away

After six years working for the school district and the last four working in technology at the alternative high school in Eagan, I set the school's computer equipment up as best as I could for the new school year--and then I turned in my keys and left.

I am leaving for a new job that I was able to tryout this summer--working for a company that creates wireless networks for under-served (rural) areas.

The school district is low on money, and the result for the employees is that we are losing pay, benefits and facing lay-offs. I decided to walk away from that.

In spite of what some Republicans would tell you, the problem in my opinion is not that public employees are paid too much. At least not those working on the "front lines." I did, however, see abuses of power even at the school I worked at. It seems that at least some of those at the top are costing the tax payers lots of money.

Just as an example, the principal of the school I was working at has for her own personal use, one desktop PC, one color printer/scanner/fax, two laptops, an iPad and a smart phone. In addition, though there are three secretaries supporting the programs, she has employed her own daughter for at lease three years as a long-term temp. When teachers and support staff are being laid off, I find it distressing that this is allowed; while at the same time any and all reasons are being sought to eliminate employees from much lower paid positions--because "it is necessary to lower costs."

I will refrain from speaking about how the HR Dept. has somehow actually grown during these cutbacks in staffing...

I really hope that public education doesn't suffer any more budget cuts. I also hope that those people in power will have to be more accountable in the future. The future of our children, our country and our world depends on everyone.

No comments: