Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Thinking about the Toyota Recall

This morning as I was driving to work, I noticed a newer model Toyota car driving past me on the shoulder of the freeway. The car had to be going about 90mph, and didn't seem to be able to stop. How ironic, I thought, that the number one selling car manufacturer in the world, now had problems with the accelerator sticking on numerous models. Initially, the problem was blamed on the floor mats, supposedly sticking to the accelerator pedal. Apparently, this was not the only problem. Now, still driving, I noticed a Toyota truck pass on the other side of my car. Horn blowing, the driver was apparently in a hurry and wanted everyone to get out of his way. Either that or his accelerator was stuck.

I just heard now, that it seems there is a problem with the brakes not working on the popular Prius Hybrid. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that this is a really bad combination. As I watched a new Prius crash through a fence on the edge of the freeway, it occurred to me that a stuck accelerator and a non-working brake could spell disaster. Upon this realization, I moved over a lane, to let a 2009 Camry zoom past. I caught a glimpse of the driver... terrifying sight! Luckily, the car seemed to be speeding up, so it was out of range in a few more seconds. I was just glad I didn't have to see that again!

As a 2010 Toyota RAV4 spun off the road up ahead, I thought about the irony that so many people thought Toyotas were the most reliable vehicles available. Reliable maybe, but I carefully turned my Ford Fusion onto my exit and continued on--as a 2007 Avalon narrowly missed me and ran into a duplex on the corner. Still, despite the fact that Toyota had been slow... no "sloth-like" in their response to the accelerator pedal issues, I was confident that they would... in time... fix the problem the same way that Japanese companies have done for decades. They would copy the way an American company did it. Then, after perfecting the process, they would undercut the competition by reducing prices through cost-cutting measures. Perhaps if they were smart... or lucky, the quality wouldn't suffer too much.

Almost to my destination, I passed the smoking remains of a late model Toyota Sequoia. Apparently it hadn't stopped in time to miss that huge tree. As I pulled into the driveway and parked my car, I couldn't help but feel good. I was optimistic, as I pressed the lock button on my Ford and went inside.

No comments: