Thursday, November 01, 2007

Late October Hike in Wilkie

On October 30, we had a beautiful, late fall day. It got up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and I went hiking in the Central part of the Wilkie unit in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. I like the fall and winter for hiking, because of the lack of biting insects. There were only two or three hardy mosquitoes that weren't "done in" by the single freeze we've had so far. Perhaps they hatched after the frost. After an extremely dry summer, the late rains have the Minnesota River swollen. My hike was pleasant, as I was in short sleeves and comfortable. I saw some wildlife (mostly birds), including a Great Horned Owl, a Red-tailed Hawk (white phase), some Pileated Woodpeckers, and one Downy Woodpecker that let me take its picture. My other photographs (below), include a Bald Eagle's nest, and me in front of an enormous cottonwood tree. My orange cap is due to bow hunting (for deer) going on right now. I did see one hunter and adjusted my course away from his position in a tree.
KJC































No comments: