Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hate Mongers Please Stick to the Facts!

Personally, I like to look at how far we have advanced over the years. That said, yesterday I had to stop someone who was spreading hateful lies about Hmong people. I have been intimately involved with the Hmong Community for the last decade and longer. I have married a Hmong woman. My family is mixed. While there are certain things in the culture that I disagree with, they do not eat dogs! They are not after your pet for dinner! This is simply crap and that is what I told the person who was spreading it yesterday! I would expect this in the 1980s but do not expect it today. Similarly, someone I know was sharing a completely ridiculous story on social media about a Muslim cashier confronting a young Caucasian boy who was wearing a crucifix. I added the Snopes story to this person's comments under the story. It is a complete fabrication. If people choose to spread hate, if they could at least do us the courtesy of sticking to the facts, I would appreciate it.

Addendum: So now that I got this off my chest, I'm going to assume the person I got upset with didn't know any better. There are places, many (but not all) in Asia, where dogs are consumed as food. One place is Vietnam. Years ago, I had a relative ask me, "Hmong are the same as Vietnamese right?" My answer then is the same as now, "No, they are different." My (main) message (from earlier) is still the same. Don't be spouting out things like they are facts, when you don't know what you are talking about. It creates divisions. Just because you heard it from some loudmouth or read it on Facebook, that doesn't mean it's true. It's no wonder other countries can influence our elections using social media.

No comments: