Friday, May 05, 2017

$203

The Good Guys are done with my 1965 Fender Showman tube amplifier. Lots of cleaning and replaced some expensive tubes all at $80 per hour. Mark Dopkins (owner) also installed a power cord I supplied to eliminate the cat chewage on the old one (that was replaced once before for wear). He said that soon there will be components that need changing that have been cleaned over and over. Those old tube amps sound good but they have a tendency to burn and arc over time. Mark is getting on toward retirement too. I don't know if too many guys fix that old stuff anymore. I may need to buy an amp for practice and save this one for... hmmm... maybe I should just play it. If I let the museum have it nobody will ever play it again. That is a little bit sad. I think I've had it serviced 4 times at the Good Guys over the 33 years I've owned it.

No comments: