Thursday, March 29, 2012

The "Hoodie"

This morning I drove past the police who had detained a young man wearing a hooded sweatshirt--with the hood over his head. I was also wearing a "hoodie," as it was 40 degrees outside. In fact I wear my hooded sweatshirt a lot; but I rarely wear the hood. I usually have a hat on instead.

As I continued driving, I saw several more people in "hoodies" that did not have police questioning them. After the whole Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman thing people (who don't normally wear them) are wearing "hoodies" because they say it is a (racial) prejudice issue.

Personally, if I was being "persecuted" because I was wearing a hood, I would get a hat. One could argue that a person has the right to wear a hood. I would agree. I would also agree that said person has a right to swim in shark-infested waters with chicken carcasses strapped to their arms and legs. The intelligence of such a decision could be questionable.

Perhaps this sounds racist to some of the easily offended types--but I remember when I was younger and African-American men liked to dress nicer than everyone else. Now, the trend among young people is to look like street thugs and to wear "prison pants."

Maybe I am too old to understand this whole thing--except that I believe a lot of people are pushing their personal agendas here. Instead of everyone dressing like a hood, perhaps we should "pretend" that it is okay to look respectable. That's just my opinion.

No comments: