Monday, June 07, 2010

When Did Everyone Give-Up on the Kid?

When did everyone give-up on the kid? He thinks that he can always get his way, because he becomes rude, abusive and doesn't give up. Eventually people let him have his way so that they can avoid the conflict. Therefore he always "wins". Someday, however, this will get him into trouble. He will lose badly. Should our educational institutions be required to teach this "life lesson?" What about the parents? Why shouldn't it be their responsibility? In more than one job, I have worked with "disadvantaged," or "at risk" people. I'm not allowed to discuss my work, or where I do this--as this would get me in trouble with my employer. I do have a point though. Basically, I think people (especially young people), need to be held to proper standards of behavior in order to stay out of trouble and to succeed in later life. I've seen what happens when they grow up thinking that they are always "right," above the law, and no one can make them do anything they don't feel like doing. Eventually there are people who can and will (i.e. judges, police, etc.) tell them what to do, and when to do it.

-KJC

No comments: