Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Don't Kill the Cougar!

While there are a lot of great things about Minnesota, there is a history of shameful handling of wildlife that wander into areas populated by humans. One might think we would have more respect for our wild animals, but that is obviously not the case, as large animals (wild or domestic) that enter towns and cities are routinely gunned down with extreme prejudice.

Recently, a cougar spotted in the Twin Cities area (see links below) has been in the news with great frequency. News crews are dispatched and trigger happy, public safety officials seem to be drooling to get a shot at this "interloper." In Minnesota's defense, surrounding states seem to be quite adept at killing any last cougar they can get their sights on as well.

Back in 2005, I met a trio of brothers in Murdo, South Dakota, at the Rusty Spur. One of them was a rancher, and he claimed that cougars were known to attack his horses. This could certainly be a concern if you were a rancher, but I am somewhat shocked that a single cougar in a suburb in a supposedly, "wilderness state" such as Minnesota should cause such a panic, fervor and blood-lust!

As a volunteer park ranger in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, I can tell you that I would consider myself very lucky to see a cougar while hiking in the bottom-land forest. Would I be freaked out or scared? Maybe a little. But isn't the world a little richer when there are magnificent creatures like cougars in it? The likelihood of one attacking me is extremely remote. In fact, the coyotes that roam these areas are more likely to attack, and I have rarely even seen one--though I know they live there.

In 1987, I had the honor of spending a week camped on Admiralty Island, in S.E. Alaska. The large population of coastal brown bears allowed my friend John and I to stay on their island, without harming us. Standing across from an 800 lb. bear, knowing that there was no fence, moat or barrier between us was undoubtedly a highlight of my life!

So I ask, no I plead with everyone, to let the cougar alone! It doesn't want to be around people. It's lost and wandering and free and beautiful! Why should one, single large cat be seen as such a threat to the thousands and thousands of people who have usurped its ancestral land? Jeez people! Wake up and allow room in your hearts and your world for one of God's most spectacular creatures!

KJC

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=830084

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14005257

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14011504

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/79340727.html?elr=KArks:DCiU1OiP:DiiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

No comments: