Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Box Elder Bug Finds Freedom

Many of us have had the unpleasant experience of Box Elder Bugs or Asian Lady Bugs infesting the cracks and crevices of our homes or workplace in the late fall when the weather gets cool. Looking for a place to come in from the cold, thousands of these insects can swarm in through the tiniest cracks or openings.

In January here in Minnesota, it is fairly uncommon for insects such as these to still be plaguing us. At work, however, I still see the occasional Box Elder Bug flying across the room or landing on my computer screen. On Sunday, I found one in my house!

Now I could have "dispatched" this little insect, by crushing it, or flushing it down the toilet. For some reason, however, I took pity on the little guy. Why my sudden change of heart regarding this particular pest, I don't know.

Instead of killing it, I caught the little guy and brought it to my deck door and tossed it out onto the deck. The bug seemed to enjoy its new-found freedom, as I reintroduced it to its natural (outdoor) habitat.

As it walked slowly across the deck boards in its outdoor environment, the bug began walking slower and slower in the 20 degree Fahrenheit (-6.67 Celsius) temperature. Obviously it was enjoying the fresh air. Soon, it stopped walking and lay sprawled out on the deck, enjoying its freedom; too intoxicated by joy to continue moving.

Several hours later, it was still relaxing on the deck. In fact, the bug had not moved at all for the whole day! I went outside and kicked it over the edge of the deck. I mean, come on, how lazy can you get?

No comments: