Thursday, January 12, 2006

Full Moon?

The (Jr. High) detention room where I work has been extremely busy lately. I haven’t encountered such quantities before. Mostly, it is kids who are completely without respect for anyone. An adult (who’s supposed to be in charge) like myself, can give a directive and the answer is openly defiant. They prefer to refuse and escalate the situation rather than comply. I don’t accept that behavior and will move to the next appropriate level.

Having some experience working with those who have served time behind bars, I can’t really see any good things for these kids unless they wakeup at some point. This week’s list of offenses is astounding, and even the school police liaison officer has been involved.

When I went to public school, teachers and administration regularly hit students. While I’m not in favor of such things in general, I wonder if the tide has turned too much. These kids know that no one is allowed to lay a hand on them. As a result, they have no healthy respect for either authority, or for someone who could actually cause them bodily harm. This isn’t really a good scenario, because I know only too well (after working in one of the worst places in Minneapolis), that eventually they will meet someone of like mind and somebody will be maimed or killed.

Some of these kids have bought into the glorification of street culture. They are trying to be little “gangstas.” It is pretty sad to see actually –since I know where they are heading if they don’t straighten up.

No comments: