Friday, October 21, 2005

Liars

I went to my car dealer after my summer trip in July, and the service guy tried to talk me into all kinds of unnecessary repairs. I did decide to go with a transmission flush, since I know the transmissions on most cars are crap. The guy wanted to do a brake inspection, and I negotiated a tire rotation while they had the wheels off. The rotation wasn’t on the invoice, but when I asked, I was told it had been done. I was also told that my brakes would need to be done this fall, because they were down to 20% of original.

I called the service guy when I noticed my tires hadn’t been rotated. He said he’d “take care of me” next time I came in. I went in the next morning. He said he couldn’t help me because the mechanic who was supposed to work on my car wasn’t there. I was mad. He told me he couldn’t help me, so I backed out and backed all the way to the front where I went in and asked to speak to a manager.

I was explaining to the manager what had happened, when “Andy,” the service guy ran in and said he “called in a favor,” and had somebody who would rotate my tires. He apologized for the mishap. Then, when the mechanic (who remember, wasn’t there that day) brought my car out, he said he was sorry, but nobody had told him yesterday to rotate my tires. What is that now, at least two lies? There’s more…

I went to the same dealer in October for an oil change, and though they insisted that I needed several hundred dollars of maintenance, I told them I’d had a bad experience with them and only wanted an oil change. They put a warning in large letters that I had refused recommended services.

Then I went to my favorite Car-X in Bloomington, MN. They checked my brakes, and told me I still had 50% left! Imagine, my car added 30% to my brakes since my dealer checked them three months before! What a bunch of liars!
Car-X gets my business.

No comments: