Friday, September 09, 2005

More Hurricane Rantings

Beyond the obvious problems with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, there are a few things that I find really bothersome.

First, if you want to fix the flooding problem, it isn’t enough to create levees and dikes. The wetlands need to be reestablished. As a volunteer ranger in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, I spend lots of time hiking the wetlands and river bottoms. I know that the only reason this wonderful wilderness area isn’t being developed, is because it floods. By allowing that area to continue to exist, the cities aren’t flooded and the byproduct is that habitat is available for the wildlife.

Humans arrogantly think that they are so important, that they can destroy the habitat of other animals. What should be remembered is that what injures one often injures all. The destruction of wetlands increases the likelihood of floods.

On the topic of arrogant humans, I find it upsetting that people weren’t allowed to take their pets when they evacuated the disaster zone. I understand the concept that humans are always supposed to be more important than animals. I just don’t agree with it. If you want people to evacuate, allow them to take their pets out too. I would not want to leave my dog or cat behind to die. What a horrible thing to expect someone to do when they have already lost so much. It is a completely inhumane policy.

KJC

No comments: