Tuesday, August 16, 2005

GAS PRICES

It was only a month ago when I went on my road-trip and was paying more for gasoline than ever before. It was averaging about $2.35 per gallon. Today, a month later it is averaging $2.65 per gallon.

Yesterday when gas was varying between $2.45 and $2.69 per gallon, I put my car in the garage and took my bicycle for a 20-mile ride through the trails in Fort Snelling State Park. I chose not to drive somewhere to hike. I’m afraid we all need to find ways to use less gas, because the price isn’t going to come down. Our political leadership comes from families who have long made their money from petroleum profits. That could also explain why the Saudis are considered allies of the USA, even though they spawn, grow and fund more terrorists than any other country.

Oil, it seems, is the civilized world’s drug of choice. The repercussions of this can be seen in environmental damage, and slowly but surely, the downfall of our economy. The rich can’t see beyond their greed, but the cost of oil is causing everything to cost more. It is only a matter of time before people will be unable to afford the things they need.

One more thing… when I am hiking, the bicycles try to run me down. When I am bicycling, the cars try to run me down. As we begin to get off our butts and use other means of getting from place to place, we should all be conscious of sharing the roads and trails. Try putting the cell phone down…

No comments: