Friday, January 17, 2014

Baldness Insecurities

Over the years I have come to realize that my baldness causes insecurity; for others. Just yesterday, the guy who empties the waste baskets made a (another of several actually) comment that I was going to need to 'cover my head' when I go outside because it is cold. I must admit, I do wear a hat. I also wore a hat before I shaved my head. With his previous comments directed at my scalp, I gather this guy has noticed that my head is bald.

Likewise, I have a couple of cousins who if I have not seen them for a long time, like to greet me with 'hey baldy!' There have been some friends (or even strangers) who have done that too. Frequently, the perpetrator of the comments is 'a bit thin' himself. Out of all of this I have come to realize that for whatever reason, my baldness causes insecurity--though not for me. Why it is the focal point of certain individuals is anyone's guess. Is that all they could come up with? It certainly is sad if that is the case. I would suggest a more fitting greeting such as, 'hello.'

At any rate, just like when I wrote the song, "Why Can't I Be Bald," a couple of decades ago, I am quite comfortable with my look. I'm not sure why it causes anyone else issues (except if they have stock in Hair Club for Men), but that probably is up to those individuals to sort out for themselves.

No comments: