Thursday, January 02, 2014

IKEA & Windshield Washer Fluid

While riding in the car with my wife driving, I observed that men and women are extremely different in many ways. The roads were messy as we drove to IKEA, and the windshield was getting dirty on the car. Every couple of miles (or minutes), my wife would shoot generous amounts of windshield washer fluid on the windshield and clean the dirt off with the windshield wipers. I recognized that had I been driving, and since I am male, I would have driven until the windows were nearly blocked completely by dirt before applying a small amount of washer spray so that visibility was (mostly) once again restored.

Upon leaving IKEA, I overheard a man complaining about the store; after which his wife said, "I love this store!" This is also true of me and my wife. For me, IKEA is a commitment. It took us most of the day to go through and find the things we were looking for (and some we weren't). By nature of being put into this place where you follow a one-way "road" through the merchandise displays, you are somewhat stuck for the duration. Our two-year-old son was hungry and we had to eat at the company cafeteria. It was OK, but this is not a store I could see myself going to more than maybe once in a year. My wife, however, enjoys shopping so she liked it a lot.

It is probably no wonder men and women disagree about other things--when it is obvious that we see the world so differently.

No comments: