Monday, January 06, 2014

Star Trek Today

Since my son was born, my priorities have shifted considerably. While I have always been somewhat of a Trekkie (no I don't dress up and go to conventions), due to my new priorities I don't see movies very often. I had wanted to see the Star Trek: Into Darkness movie since it came out, and only recently watched it with my wife when she bought the DVD for me for a Christmas present.

I enjoyed the movie very much and was pleased with the characters and how they were portrayed. In fact, even while some things changed over time, such as the appearance of the Klingons, the original characters--though they are now played by new actors have remained very close to the original. In fact, (Pavel) Chekov still pronounces the 'W' sound like a German rather than a Russian. But maybe best of all, James T. Kirk is still reckless and a woman-chaser.

Perhaps Star Trek was already diverse enough, but I find it refreshing that no one has (yet) decided to change James Kirk into an African-American (played by Will Smith) and make Dr. McCoy gay. Because let's face it, there is a trend to do just that sort of thing in remakes.

As I said, being that Star Trek has always been a sociological smorgasbord, perhaps this has never been found to be necessary.

No comments: