Thursday, January 24, 2008

-13

This morning the temperature was -13 degrees Fahrenheit (-25 Celsius). I live just south of Minneapolis. Up in the northern part of the state it is closer to -30.

People who don't live in cold climates don't understand how we "can stand it!"
Personally, I have a hard time with extremely hot temperatures. Even if it might be "too cold" to go outside (on some winter days), in some places it is too hot to go outside in the summer.

People in northern climates, such as Minnesota, enjoy winter sports like, skating, hockey, skiing, sledding, ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and my personal favorite, hiking.

I lived for a short time in Providence, RI. Never before did I hear people complain about the weather so much as I did out east. An inch (2.54 centimeters) of snow crippled the city. The airport closed and citizens stocked up on bread and pasta. In Minnesota, after a foot of snow, we shovel out and go to work. Out east they think 20 degrees is cold. In the Twin Cities, we think single digits or below zero is cold, but we put on a warm coat and go about our business. Actually, out east, I was miserable all summer because of the heat and humidity.

The weather reports indicate a warm up this weekend to about freezing (32˚F). I'm looking forward to a nice, balmy hike in the woods!

No comments: