Monday, October 21, 2013

Mille Lacs Trip

Our first stop on the way up to Lake Mille Lacs was the Milaca Unclaimed Freight store. After that we drove to the Twin Pines Resort for lunch. Aside from the first batch of chicken coming to the table still raw, it was OK. Then we toured the Mille Lacs Indian Museum. We had a nice room at the Garrison Inn and that evening we ate at the The Lonesome Pine Restaurant. The food was good--except for the "garlic pasta" that I had as a side. I thought that a restaurant that had a lot of Italian food might have something more interesting and flavorful than half a cup of spaghetti in olive oil and garlic. It was pretty bad (my son even refused to eat any and he usually likes noodles)--though my Maple-glazed Salmon was good (my son liked it too). The prices were pretty high considering it is in Deerwood, MN--but I must admit that the place was packed on this Thursday night.

The next morning we proceeded to go clockwise around Lake Mill Lacs. We walked along the lakeshore on the north end. Eventually we stopped in Isle to shop and eat. We ate at the Country Corner Cafe because we were told by a shop owner it was the best place around. It was OK, but I'm sorry to hear that it is the best they have.

My apologies if you wanted to hear about fishing. My little boy is a bit young to be out on a big lake like Mille Lacs. Maybe next time...We did save the best for last, however, as we stopped by my old friend Joe's house on the way home. My son really liked Joe, Angie and Kayla. My wife and I were also happy to have had the chance to visit with this wonderful family.

 

No comments: