Monday, October 07, 2013

Government Shutdown Continued

The government shutdown might sound like a silly power struggle to many people, but I know better.
My son is under two-years-old, and I can tell you that I have been through these types of negotiations and it is not easy.
Take for instance if it is bedtime. I want my son to go to bed and he wants to play with toys or read a book. I will begin the negotiations with, "No buddy, it's bedtime. We'll read the book tomorrow."
This will likely be met with his response of, "READ BOOK!" This will lead to me trying to catch my little boy as he stalls for time. He may run between his dresser and crib to try to get away from further negotiations--and thus sway the argument in his favor.
I will counter by picking him up and physically trying to put him to bed. This may result in crying. It is hard to put a toddler to bed who is intent on having his own way--just as it is hard to convince a politician that he/she should consider the greater good of the people he/she is representing--rather than his/her quarrel with the policies of the opposing party.
Either battle is going to be hard as it is very hard to reason with a toddler... or a politician.
I know, that everyone involved in the government shutdown is doing their very best--because I have been there! I have been through these negotiations with my baby boy.
He may have eaten beans yesterday, but today he wants nothing to do with them! No amount of persuasion will help. It is a test of wills.
I can respect the wills of the politicians of the USA as they lead us further into crisis. As I said, I've been there. Each politician is every bit as strong-willed as any small child!
I feel confident in knowing that they will handle the situation as well as any group of small children fighting over a single toy. That is what makes America so great!!!

No comments: