Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Escape Wisconsin

I remember way back when my brother made a drivable car from two old junk cars. He had a bumper sticker on the back that was altered slightly, so it read "Escape Wisconsin." At that time, Wisconsin had a lower age drinking age than Minnesota, and the highway patrol and police scoured the border, looking for young Minnesotans who had had too much to drink before returning home. Since then, I've seen another "oddity" or two involving Wisconsin (such as their allowing bear hunting with dogs) that makes this bumper sticker appropriate.

Of course, the real slogan is, Escape To Wisconsin, but that is what made, and makes the joke funny.

On my way to and from work each day, I've noticed that there is a mass exodus from Wisconsin. About half the cars I see on the short stretch of East 94 that I take between downtown St. Paul and White Bear Avenue, have Wisconsin license plates. Now I realize that it could be, that some Minnesota residents have cars registered in Wisconsin (like the guy in my condo complex who has lived there for five years, is on at least his second car and still has South Dakota plates). More-than-likely, though, it is Wisconsin residents coming to Minnesota to find jobs. Since jobs tend to pay more in Minnesota and taxes are less in Wisconsin, this could work out well! Up until gas goes back to $4 per gallon!

In the meantime, it seems that many people are "escaping" Wisconsin everyday!

No comments: