Monday, August 03, 2015

Why so Many Homicidal People?

Over the weekend I attended a funeral for a relative on the Hmong side of my family. He was 26 and (one story says he) was shot in the back of the head while out for a jog on the morning of July 5th. Today, a despicable piece of shit is expected to plead guilty to the murder of his own son—allegedly to collect insurance money. There is also the Minnesota dentist that uses his wealth to kill animals to satisfy his blood-lust. If you read my blog regularly, you might recall I had a guy in the midst of his road rage pull a gun while we were driving. Just this past Friday, I had another guy almost hit my car when he carelessly merged into my lane without looking. Again, this guy ended up ahead of me (after I had to slam on my brakes) and he started driving slowly and I got the eerie feeling that he was another nut-job with a gun. So when we began to move through an intersection, I slowed until he got through and turned to take a different route. So why are there so many homicidal people just looking for someone to murder? Perhaps humanity has always been this way, but when I was young such things were far less apt to occur. It seems to me that there are a lot of people (mostly males) who have a desire to appear dangerous and want to confront and kill another person to achieve this sick goal. Most of them, in my opinion, are not looking for a "fair fight;" as much as an opportunity to end another person's life to fulfill a warped failure within their own personality. I blame this on several things. First and foremost, I believe there are too many guns in too many hands. Some are legal and still unquestioningly a danger and others probably started out legal and then were stolen or changed hands multiple times. Second, the population has grown and more people are living in close proximity to each other. Third, there is a more diverse population and some seem more prone to violence, gangs and crime. Finally, there is an unfortunate trend for young people to emulate the worst people in our society. Just look at the "popular" trend to wear pants that don't fit or cover the things that pants were designed to cover in order to achieve the "stylish" look of "prison pants." So where is the conscience (and the intellect) of these people and how do you go on living after you have executed someone because you are just an asshole?

No comments: