Tuesday, May 11, 2010

More Publish America Bull-Crap!

I traded emails with Kristin (last time it was Hannah) from Publish America. I got the exact same (as last time), copy-and-pasted response regarding my book being over-priced. I wanted to put the Publish America responses here, but they were just so long! They were filled with links directed toward the Publish America site that try to legitimize their business.

In all fairness, you can get your book published by Publish America, no matter if it is good or not. They will edit it (and by that I mean add errors), and you can see your book and hold it and it won't cost you anything.

The downside is that they over-price the (softcover) books and only print-on-demand. That means when the order comes in and is paid, they will then print the books. This makes it virtually impossible to sell any beyond your friends and family. Publish America is aware of this, and your friends and family are their target sales--though they pretend to be global. The author pushes their book on friends and family and Publish America keeps 92% of the sales.

My book is currently $19.95 for a softcover. It has gone on sale for as low as $3.99. This is why I have asked them to simply sell it at a reasonable price. That is when the cut-and-paste responses come.

By-the-way, their website wouldn't accept the sale price last time my book was on sale. It said $3.99, but came up as $19.95 on the online order form.

After reading their misinformation and considering the massive quantity of it, I decided not to show it all here after all. Instead, I'll leave you with my last words to them. They had cited several unreliable sources (i.e. from their own website) about how "great" Publish America is.

I ended my correspondence with this...
Since you were sending (hearsay) URL's (linked to Publish America), I've sent you one that shows Publish America has an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau. Ever heard of that organization?

http://www.bbb.org/greater-maryland/business-reviews/publishers-book/publish-america-llp-in-frederick-md-32010985#ratingdetails

KJC

No comments: