Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hypothetical

Suppose you worked at a place where those in charge wanted things that were impractical. Just suppose for instance, that "they" wanted you to use a help-desk, or tracking software that caused you to continuously need to input data into a database--in addition to actually doing the necessary work. In fact, suppose the new system caused a huge increase in your workload by virtue of its existence.
What would you do?
If this happened to me, and I'm not saying that it has, even if I had already seen this same type of micromanagement "crash and burn" when I worked for, oh... say the county, I would use the following particular course of action.

I would utilize this new system continuously. I would, whenever possible, use it to the fullest potential. Then, it would either be exposed as a bad idea, or perhaps I could find some practical benefit to using it. Regardless, if I have no say in the matter, I would use the new system as often as possible.
That is, if I was in that situation... which I'm not saying that I am.

No comments: