Monday, May 10, 2010

The "Funny Man" in the SUV

There I was, driving along 94 west, winding past downtown St. Paul. Behind me, about six feet from my rear bumper was an SUV. I was traveling along slightly over the posted 55 MPH speed limit. I also happened to be traveling in the left lane; because I had to use this lane to connect to my interchanges (otherwise I would have moved to the right). When I reached 35E south, I had to slow slightly, to merge left, into traffic.

At this point, the SUV continued in the lane I was previously in, and the driver extended his middle finger as he drove past. I was slightly amused, because I could not find any good reason, that this individual should be upset with me--except that I was apparently "in his way."

When I was in Providence, Rhode Island, I sometimes had people honking behind me at a red light--wanting me to drive into oncoming traffic because they wanted "to go," and my life meant nothing to them. This trait is why the smallest state has the "worst drivers" in most polls on the subject.

What is it that makes people so rude in certain situations? Why do they sometimes think that they are the only ones with the right to be on the road? Why do certain people, in certain situations, consider themselves "special?"

I really don't know why, except that I'm pretty sure that while some of them may remain rude face-to-face, a significant number of them would probably be uncomfortable extending their middle finger and shouting at you if you were standing in front of them. That said, I have worked with "at risk" people in several jobs now, and some people will tell you to "F-off" just for something to do. When two such individuals happen upon each other, whether they are in the relative safety of their SUV or not, bad things can happen. It is best to find amusement in their absurdity. I'm sure if the guy in the SUV hung around long enough to see me laugh at him, he would have gotten even madder. His morning was not off to a good start. Mine, however, was already amusing me!

No comments: