Monday, April 27, 2009

Go Fly A Kite!

When I was a kid, I remember flying kites with my older brother. It seems to me he made his kites himself, and the length of the tail was changed out on the field, depending on how well the kite flew. I also remember that we sometimes flew them so high that we could barely see them. If my childhood memory is accurate, it seems we even got a visit from an airport police officer once--since we lived close to Minneapolis/St. Paul International. I also remember times when the kite string would break, and the kite would sail off to another neighborhood. Sometimes a friend on a bicycle might even chase after it!

On Saturday, my wife and I flew our kite that we bought at the mall. It came in a package, almost entirely assembled. It was pretty fun after all these years, but the 300' of string was well short of what I remember as a kid. It's probably just as well though. Our kite came back down no worse for the wear.

No comments: