Friday, December 07, 2018

Rebirth

The hardest thing I ever did was to leave my family, my friends, my house, my job and my band when I moved out east in 2003 to Providence, RI. When I realized that the dream had fallen apart and I was truly unhappy, I did the second hardest thing. I packed up and moved back home to Minnesota; and had to rebuild my life from scratch. It was hard. Some friends were aloof now and told me I had "made a mistake." But it wasn't a mistake. It was merely a step. One day as I was next to a stream in the Minnesota Valley Wildlife Refuge (Louisville Swamp) I saw two Bald eagles tumbling through the sky at breakneck speed. I lowered my spotting scope and watched amazed as they cleared the top of my head by perhaps 10 feet--and I still remember the sound, like a kite in the wind, as their feathers cut across the air above me. And then I realized how blessed I was and I rebuilt my life. All the ties that had been toxic or holding me back were severed. Those that meant something were reestablished. Because of that step I met my wife and had my son. Because of that step I developed my career in IT and wrote numerous books (now on Amazon). But it was never easy. If it had been, it would not have been as gratifying.

No comments: