Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Explanation of Benefits for Medical Reimbursement

I found out that I still have money in an HSA from when I worked for the school district. I won't mention what school district because they were paranoid about my blog and tried to end my freedom-of-speech with intimidation when I was at the ALC. Anyway, the rules to getting reimbursed seem arbitrary and sometimes I need the Explanation of Benefits (and sometimes not) from the insurance company—even when the amounts paid and owed are already shown on the bills and receipts submitted. After my latest attempt to get reimbursed (the previous attempt went unpaid and had to be resubmitted), I was growing annoyed by the idiotic policies and so I sent this note with my EOB and resubmitted claim.

Hi NAME REMOVED,

After only 10 minutes on hold with INSURANCE COMPANY NAME, I was able to get the EOB for the claim that was denied. I hope this is all the documentation necessary to prove I am not trying to falsely get my money from my medical reimbursement account as outlined by SCHOOL DISTRICT NAME. If NAME REMOVED needs to sign-off on this, he does not yet know how to write his name as he is only 2-years-old. I could put him on the phone if needed and he can say the entire alphabet and count to 20 in two languages if that will help. Thanks for processing this claim. If anything else is needed please let me know.

I know you are just following policy regardless of how inconvenient or redundant or ridiculous or asinine it may be. I hope my frustrations were not taken personally—though I would like to give some 'feedback' to the policy makers when/if I find out who they are.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Of course, the response was that I needed to fill out a new form so the date (I used the date from the hospital bill) corresponded to the date on the Explanation of Benefits from the insurance company. What? is that all? change the date? OK!

End Note*
My request to learn who/what group is responsible for the policies has so far gone unanswered. I was told (by HR) it was the "District Insurance Policy," which still does not give me any names of people I can give feedback to. My request for actual names or committees has gone unanswered. Apparently no one is responsible at the school district.

No comments: