Friday, September 09, 2011

Remembering 9-1-1

I remember ten years ago when I was working at the Hennepin County, Chemical Health Division in Minneapolis. I received a call, then more calls while working in my office. Airplanes were crashing into the World Trade Center; Twin Towers. In disbelief I verified this on the Internet.

Later I watched video on one of the few TV's we had at the office. It was a strange feeling of dread that overwhelmed me. As the day went on, it was announced that anyone who felt they needed to leave work could go. A group of my coworkers let out an excited yell and left work happily. I stared in disbelief as these disenfranchised people rejoiced in their half-day off--at the expense of thousands of victims in new York City. I stayed at work. I didn't know what else to do.

Later, alone in my house near the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport, I listened to the erie silence. I was used to hearing airplanes and for once there were none. Later, as I lie in bed, I could hear the feint sound of a lone F-16 Fighter patrolling the sky at high altitude. Ironically this sound kept me awake--unlike the louder sounds of commercial aircraft that I was used to.

I no longer live or work in Minneapolis. Marriage has influenced me to move across the river to St. Paul. Like most Americans, however, I can remember September 11, 2001 with remarkable clarity.

-KJC

No comments: