Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Weights

When you start getting old, you have to work at staying in shape. I prefer resistance, or weight training. I’m not talking about pumping iron for 6 or 8 hours at a time. Who has time for that? I like to spend about 15 or 20 minutes, going from one exercise to the next without breaks. I do 10 repetitions and between 15 and 20 different exercises.

I found this method when I worked at the County Chemical Health Division. We had a weight room in the basement and I used it almost daily on my morning break. I don’t get regular breaks at the school, and even if I did a class might be in the weight room. So, I started coming in a half hour early and doing my routine.

We have a pretty nice exercise room where I live, but it was busy mornings this summer, and I need to do my routine early, or I don’t seem to get at it. I also don’t like a lot of people around when I workout. That is, unless I am doing a maximum lift, and need a spotter.

At any rate, I didn’t get to the weight room more than a couple of times all summer, and now I found that I have to reduce my weights and/or repetitions as I get back into it. I have to go through the preliminary aches again too.

So why do I do it? I like the way my body feels when I lift consistently. It isn’t about the weight or spending hours upon hours doing it. It is simply the consistency. It firms things up and I don’t strain myself in daily life. So, while I feel like a wuss this week, I’m sure after another week or two I will be back to my former abilities.

Remember, any exercise is good, and walking is probably the best. That said, weight training is the only thing that can “turn back the clock” on aging. I say that because as you age, you lose bone and muscle mass. Resistance training actually increases your muscle and bone mass.

No comments: