Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I can interview AFTERNOONS

This is a "sanitized" copy of the letter that I e-mailed to an employer who is insisting that I interview in the morning...

Person, Title
Person, Title
Address

RE: SECOND INTERVIEW FOR, ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM

I received two phone calls regarding a second interview for the position that I talked with you about last Thursday (10/6/05). Each time I was asked to interview in the morning, and each time I explained that I have a job and I can only interview in the afternoon. The last call did not sound very promising, since I was not given any alternative besides this Thursday morning.

I am currently working for ISD ###, and my hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00AM until 1:30PM. I cannot in good conscience take off work to interview for any job. I respect my employer, my coworkers, and the children who I work with. While I am still interested in the job, and I am available most any afternoon (except this Wednesday when I have another second interview), I cannot interview in the morning.

If my position excludes me from the process, I believe that this is unfortunate. Were I to work for Exxx Pxxxxxx Schools, I would hope that such a regard for my employer would be appreciated.

If you can find the time to have me come in on an afternoon, evening or weekend, I will do my second interview.

Sincerely,
ME
My phone number
-------------------------------
The response,

Kevin,
I appreciate your dedication to your present employer. However, we are working under a tight timeframe with our hiring process. The only time the entire interivew committee is available this week is now Thursday at 12:30. Paul and I have 2:00 open tomorrow (Wednesday, 10/12) if that would work for youto come in for the 45 minute 2nd round interview. The other 3 members of the interview team would not be there, but it would give you a chance at interivew this week. Please let me know if this will work for you.
Her Name, Ph.D.
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Exxx Pxxxxxx Schools

If you read my first e-mail, the time/date offered was the only time I said that I could not interview...
----------------------------
My response,

Her name,
As I mentioned in my original e-mail, I have an interview today (Wednesday afternoon) in St. Paul. This prospective employer arranged the schedules of three people to meet with me. I cannot meet with you at that time.
Kevin

---------------------------
A week later,

Kevin, thank you for your interest in my position and in Exxx Pxxxxxx Schools.
I have offered the position to an internal candidate whose background was a closer match to my needs.
Good luck in your job search.
Her Name, Ph.D.
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Exxx Pxxxxxx Schools

Translation: “We were just wasting your time calling you in here in the first place, because we already knew who we were going to hire.”

No comments: