Thursday, June 30, 2005

Squirrel Extreme Sports

While I generally like all animals, as a person who has (in the past) done significant gardening, squirrels are very low on my list of animals that I care about. I think it has to do with their innate destructive nature. It is difficult to see the logic of an animal that destroys a food source (i.e. plant) before it reaches the stage where it can even begin to produce food.

That said, as I was driving this morning, I was fortunate enough to witness one of the common, gray, tree-rats involved in one of the most impressive spectacles I have ever witnessed. The speed, agility and daring of this bushy-tailed rat was (I believe) unmatched by even the most daring of extreme sport athletes.

The squirrel ran into oncoming traffic and touched the tire… perhaps pushed off the tire, of the moving car in front of me. I doubt the driver of the car even realized the incredible stunt that he/she helped to create.

In what seemed to be only a gray blur, the squirrel ran into the street, touched the moving tire and reversed its direction back the way it came. It occurred so quickly, that I was both shocked and stunned by the sight!

I know most people would say that it was merely a “close call,” and the squirrel had only meant to cross when the car(s) came along. I’m afraid I saw something different! The small dare-devil clearly was demonstrating his superior skill as he counted coup in the tradition of the American Indians. The squirrel never meant to harm the car (his mortal enemy); he only meant to slap it and run away –thus showing his incredible courage in the face of danger.

I could only applaud his courage and spirit. I hope I don’t see him splattered on the street on my drive home.
KJC

No comments: