Monday, November 06, 2017

Dear John

Dear John,

A long time ago, we were best friends. I met you in seventh grade on the football field. When I was 24, it was you who accompanied me on the premier adventure of my life—when we flew to Alaska and hired a bush pilot to drop us off on Admiralty Island for most of a week. We drank a lot of beers together and every Thursday was taco night.

Later, we drifted apart. I left the bar stool and life changed. We began to socialize in different circles. We lost touch.

Yesterday I heard that you had died. I tried in vain to find an obituary. Your landline is disconnected. So, I have to believe you have left the Earth just as sure as we felt like we had left the planet when we arrived in Alaska in a storm with all of those brown bears roaming around.

I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to say goodbye.

Take Care Old Friend,

Kevin

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Old friends, although having drifted part, are never forgotten.

Good luck with your search.

CuTRis said...

John's cousin informed me that he died at home of a heart attack.