Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I might support Black Lives Matter if...

I might support Black Lives Matter if the energy could be focused away from negative ideas and fighting. If the energy could instead be focused on children on education and on strong families, I would support them. I believe that if the energy and resources were better used to improve education and families (with supportive parents and good role models), that I might not see the violent offenders so highly represented by any one particular demographic. I believe that everyone's lives would be improved. I believe this and only this will be the key to ending the black on black violence and the high number of criminals that will ultimately be involved in police arrests. If most people are arrested zero times in their lives, and someone else is arrested ten times, I would argue that the person arrested ten times is at least ten times more likely to be killed by police. The way to change these statistics is not by stopping traffic or throwing bricks and Molotov cocktails at police. It is by changing attitudes and by supporting children so that they can grow up to be productive people.

No comments: