Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Wild & The State of Hockey

I understand, from watching the news, that the Minnesota Wild hockey team is in the playoffs and things are getting exciting. Twenty years or so ago, I was a fan of the Minnesota North Stars hockey team. Back then, the games were still on (free) television. Though toward the end of the team's existence, playoff games (especially) were offered on pay-per-view or you had to sit at the bar to watch them. Either way, you had to be willing to spend money to be a fan. I had, a few times, gone to the games at the old Met Center. As the venues to see professional hockey became narrower and more expensive, I found that this once avid fan, was losing interest. It was just too much trouble and expense. Eventually, the team was moved to Dallas. That pretty much killed my interest in the sport. Now the Minnesota Wild have won their way to playoff game 7, but the games are still not on regular TV and I don't hang out in bars to watch. So good luck to the team; but I probably won't be watching.

No comments: