Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9-1-1 Twelve Years Ago

Twelve years ago I was working in a very negative environment. One day something really bad happened. The people I worked with were typically divided down racial lines. I was among those who were in disbelief and shock at the tragedy of that day, while the other extreme let out shouts of delight when the word came that anyone who felt they needed to leave work could go and they would still be paid. The fore mentioned group filed out laughing and carrying on because they were given a "holiday." I stayed and worked because I was too upset to have a "fun" day off. I lived near the airport at the time and also as a child so I was used to airplane noise. There was none when I got home. I had trouble sleeping--not because of jet noise--but because I could barely hear that lone F-16 patrolling at high altitude. It was eerie and I will never forget that day or the horrible people who caused the disaster and that disgusting reaction by a certain group of my coworkers. The USA had the sympathy of most of the world--yet later squandered that by military action that was not carefully thought out. I hope today we have learned something about reprisals and when/where/how/if they should be done; in light of the current Syria issue. I've recovered now twelve years later--but much has happened since then. Remember today the people who died and the heroes who rushed to their aid. Then go on with your life--because those who did this evil cannot win if that is what we do.

No comments: