Friday, June 01, 2012

Adapted Classics...

I started reading an "adapted classic" version of The Adverntures of Huckleberry Finn. These "adapted" classics are supposed to be so we can understand great literature of the past. Mostly it is because an easily riled segment of the population finds it necessary to make classic literature, "politically correct". So even though I have a degree in literature and read Geoffrey Chaucer without their help, some ass-clown thinks he/she can re-write for a master like Mark Twain! I guess modern people are not allowed to come to their own conclusions about history. We can't read a book in the language of its time and place in the world. Like so many other things, we need to sanitize it to make it less offensive--instead of try to understand it from the point-of-view of its place in history. Oh well... I guess I will go read more about Huck Finn floating on a raft down the Mississippi with African-American Jim...

No comments: